Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Third Time's a Charm

My friend Aaryn B. put up this great post about voting... and turned me onto this great essay, In Support of Hillary Rodham Clinton: Good-bye to All That, Part II, by Robin Morgan.

I scanned it, got a little gut reaction and posted a comment over on Aaryn's blog.

Then my friend Nancy sent an email, quoting the same essay.

And then I voted. (see previous post, and note that I only voted once but asked for extra stickers... I only voted once)

As I stood in the styrofoam voting booth I stared at the names on the Democratic Party ticket... most of which are no longer in the running... and I thought I had made up my mind. But as I stood there, much of what Robin Morgan wrote ran through my mind, especially excerpts like these:

Goodbye to the double standard . . .

Hillary is too ballsy but too womanly, a Snow Maiden who’s emotional, and so much a politician as to be unfit for politics.
She’s “ambitious” but he shows “fire in the belly.” (Ever had labor pains? )

....

Goodbye to the toxic viciousness . . .

Carl Bernstein’s disgust at Hillary’s “thick ankles.”
Nixon-trickster Roger Stone’s new Hillary-hating 527 group, “Citizens United Not Timid” (check the capital letters).
John McCain answering “How do we beat the bitch?” with “Excellent question!” Would he have dared reply similarly to “How do we beat the black bastard?” For shame

....

This is not “Clinton hating,” not “Hillary hating.” This is sociopathic woman-hating. If it were about Jews, we would recognize it instantly as anti-Semitic propaganda; if about race, as KKK poison. Hell, PETA would go ballistic if such vomitous spew were directed at animals. Where is our sense of outrage—as citizens, voters, Americans?

....

Goodbye to the phrase “polarizing figure” to describe someone who embodies the transitions women have made in the last century and are poised to make in this one. It was the women’s movement that quipped, “We are becoming the men we wanted to marry.” She heard us, and she has.

....

Me, I’m voting for Hillary not because she’s a woman–but because I am.

—Link to Robin Morgan’s website


When did being a feminist become a dirty word? Why is it ok that we call Senator Clinton "Hillary" but we call Senator McCain/Kennedy/Obama just that? or by their last name. Why do we judge Senator Clinton by her looks more so than the men?

I won't say that Robin Morgan's essay swayed me but it made me think. More than anything, it sparked that feminist fire in my belly.

Bottom line, I'll be happy with whoever goes up against the Spend And Spend Republicans come November.

3 comments:

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Oh, so many good points.

But I have to say that I am tired. Of Politics. And I would love to have someone in the white house that wasn't hated by half the house, that was admired and begrudgingly well-liked. I think that person could get a lot more done.

So, I voted for Obama. But yeah, I am giddy that we might have a woman or a black man as our next president!

Anonymous said...

"Me, I’m voting for Hillary not because she’s a woman–but because I am."

Really? Well, am I not equally a woman if I don't vote for Clinton? And is it okay to say, "Me, I'm voting for Obama not because he's black, but because I am"?

Thank goodness each of us has the freedom of choice--and I choose substance over gender or race.

JeSais said...

Great point, Sarah. I only included that quote from Robin Morgan because it made me think... and I hoped would make others think as well.

I totally agree that substance is more important than gender or race.

And yes, freedom of choice-- and the right/responsibility to exercise it is a beautiful thing.